Diamond Lattice Block Tutorial


#havendgs bee mates🐝, what do you think of this for our April blocks?  Charm square friendly and color palette totally stolen from @ashapatel #dogoodstitches

Quite a while back, I wrote a tutorial for a lattice block on the stash bee blog here.  I love the quilt that my hive helped me put together (details here), but I've been toying with the idea of changing it a little to make it a quicker blocks (all those 2" squares!).


I thought a diamond shape would be fun and bold, so I worked out a way to make it charm square friendly.

14" Diamond Lattice Block
For each block you will need:
 (4) low volume 5" squares
 (5) Diamond Blocks, which consist of (5) colorful 5" squares and (5) 3.75" squares

5" Diamond Block
1. To make one diamond blocks take one 5" square and cut it on the diagonal both ways to end up with 4 triangles.

April blocks

2. I find it easiest to press creases into the 3.75" square by folding it in half and then in half again.  Line up a triangle (right sides together) so that the point is on the center crease line and sew along the side (1/4" seam).

April blocks

3.  Press open, and repeat on the other side.  It may be helpful to trim off the overhang before continuing to the final two sides.

April blocks

4.  For the last step, trim your block to 5" square, making sure to leave 1/4" seam allowance beyond each point.


April blocks

You will need five of these diamond blocks to make one 14" lattice block.  It's definitely faster if you chain piece.


April #havendgs block - tutorial coming soon

Comments

  1. Love this! Now to flickr to find out more about our quilt. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great & easy tute! Gonna start pulling fabric tomorrow...squee!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!

Popular Posts